Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Decorative Halloween Blocks DIY

This week's craft is one that I have wanted to do for a while. I've had some blocks sitting around that I picked up at Goodwill a few months back and I knew I would be using them to create some kind of Halloween themed home decoration.
Here is my supply list:

Wooden blocks- mine were a lucky $2 find at Goodwill but you an find them at craft stores or even make your own from scrap wood which I actually really love. When the size varies it gives them a cool look.

Modge Podge


Foam brush to apply modge podge

Paint brushes for paint (can use the foam brushes too if you want)

Small wooden letters, mine spelled "Boo"- any cute Halloween themed word would look great. I like "Wicked", "Spooky", "Haunted", or of course "Halloween" if you have enough blocks.

Liquid Nails craft glue for the letters.

Halloween craft paper, I got a small book of it at Michaels & used their 40% off coupon to save some loot




















Chalk paint in Graphite

Acrylic paint in Pumpkin
















Because my blocks were older and had a design on them already, I decided to use the dark chalk paint to cover most sides. I didn't want to have to sand off the original paint and chalk paint gives really good coverage without any need for a primer. I also wanted to use the chalk paint so that I could use different sides of the blocks as a chalk board.

I painted the remaining couple of sides in the Pumpkin orange. It took several coats because I was covering the old baby blue color that was originally there.
Here are the blocks when I started:





















I painted them over the course of a couple of days, just because I wanted to let them dry and I only have an hour or two at most where I am free to sit down and do my crafts :)























Once all of the paint was dry and looked the way I wanted, I traced the shape of the block onto a piece of craft paper and cut it out, then made sure it fit right. I trimmed it up where it needed to be fixed then used that piece as my guide and traced the rest of the squares.
I cut out several more prints than I needed so that I could play with the patterns and see which ones I liked best before I settled on the five I would use.


Next step was to apply to the modge podge in a thin layer on the block. I then quickly put just a tiny streak on the edges and corners of the craft paper before applying it to the block. I smoothed it out quickly so there were no bubbles or wrinkles.
(Obviously you do this with each block.)
For mine I chose to only use craft paper on one side, then leave the other sides revealing the paint and the word I chose. Some people like to use craft paper on every side and it looks super cool if you get some nice images that mesh well.

My last step was to glue on the letters, I used a pencil to mark the blocks in the places where I wanted my letters to sit. Once I made sure they looked even, I glued them on using liquid nails- any craft glue would work, we just had this around because we are also in the process of building a doll house.

Here is the finished product!




















And with the chalk board in use as a Halloween countdown






















Hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the comments section. I am still getting the hang of typing out these tutorials and may have missed a small step here or there.

Happy Home Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment