Monday, October 20, 2014

Perfect Pumpkin Bread

We visited one of our local farmers markets this weekend and purchased a small loaf of pumpkin bread to have for breakfast. It was spicy and delicious and inspired me to make my own later that evening for the whole family to enjoy.
After some recipe searching for measurements and ideas, I went ahead and got started on mine. I ended up realizing after the mix was ready that I only had one bread loaf pan and enough mix for three loaves! (Whoops)
Because bread is finicky and I knew putting the batter in the fridge was not an option, I grabbed my bundt pan, poured the remaining batter in, and hoped for the best.
The result was excellent so I thought I would share the recipe with you all!
This recipe made one loaf of bread from an 8x4 bread pan, plus a bundt cake. If you just want bread, it should be enough for three loaves in either a 7x3 or an 8x4 pan.

Tis' the season of pumpkin everything! Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1 Can of pumpkin puree (I used Libby's)
1 Cup of Vegetable oil
4 Eggs
2/3 cup of water
1/2 tsp vanilla

3 Cups white sugar

3 1/2 Cups Flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger

For the spices, you can adjust according to your preference. If you love nutmeg, use 1 1/4 tsp and so forth. It's up to you!

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour your bread/cake pans

Mix together the wet ingredients (the first five listed) plus sugar until blended well.
In a separate bowl, whisk by hand your dry ingredients (the last seven listed).
Next, stir the dry ingredients into your wet ingredients, stir by hand until just blended. Don't over mix or worry about a few little lumps.
Pour your mixture into the prepared pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes depending on your oven.
Both the bread and the cake took about 50 minutes and came out perfectly. You know it is done when you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean from the center.

I made a glaze for my bundt cake and used orange food coloring to give it a bit of a Pumpkin/Halloween feel. The glaze is just four tablespoons butter, melted. Then add 2 cups of powdered sugar and stir, add 2-3 tablespoons of milk until you get the desired consistency. I also add a pinch of salt to cut the sweetness and a 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Glaze your cake as you like!




Some additional thoughts/tips:
This bread would be great with raisins or nuts or both.
I may try it next time with melted butter in place of the oil. 
The glaze recipe makes enough glaze for at least 2-3 cakes if glazed lightly as pictured above. 
(This would look really cool done in orange and black for Halloween.)
The bread and cake are even better the next day than they are immediately. All of the rich flavors and spices come out after it has a chance to sit.
I love the bread warmed up with a tiny bit of butter. 

I hope you enjoy and feel free to comment your results, suggestions, etc below. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! I'm going to make these with walnuts. Thank you so much for the recipe!

    I'm @NaniTorres from instagram ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Sarah I saw your posting on Craigslist. I wanted to let you know that we are doing a haunted house this year and would love for you to review it. It is free however we accept donations for a local domestic violence shelter called Eve's place.our location is 8839 West Adam Avenue in Peoria. We're doing it on Halloween night from 6 p.m. To 9 p.m. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete